Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What's a Daughter to Do? Part 1

The other day I left a very long comment over at YLCF (Young Ladies Christian Fellowship) on an article by Ashleigh (read it here ). It got my mind to spinning, and knowing I did not make myself real clear the other night, I decided to write a few posts on the topic of daughters staying at home here on Musings From the Feet.

___________________________________________________

My mom and I were talking a few weeks ago and wound our way around to the topic of daughters staying at home until they marry. I said that I believed that a wise daughter would choose to stay home if her parents were willing that she do so. My mom agreed.

We discussed how women who have lived alone for more then a few years often tend to become very independent and opinionated. We decided that this is natural because they must learn to care for themselves. Not only do they have to care for their home, but they are also responsible for their car maintenance, home repairs, and making sure the bills get payed. In short, they carry a load alone that God meant to be shared. Is it any surprise that these women often struggle with submission when they finally get married? They have had to carry all the burdens alone and to be self-sufficient, now they have to break those habits and learn to release their control.

Releasing control is not easy for anyone. If you doubt this then please honestly answer this question. Do you ever struggle to let God have control of all you do and who you are? Releasing your control is like breaking a bad habit or an addiction. It takes lots of effort and is a continued battle.

That is my first reason for believing that God meant women to be under the authority of men. Whether their husband, or their father. The second reason is because 1 Corinthians 11:3 says: "The head of women is man." In other words, women are to be under man's headship=lordship=authority.

The best way for a daughter to stay under her father's authority is for her to stay at home where her father can offer her wisdom, counsel, and protection.

To be continued...

No comments: