Tuesday, January 26, 2010

There Will Be Pain

Things weren't going well, for Kelly Callahan. Everything in her life seemed to be falling apart. She had just lost her job, her grandmother's health was going downhill at an alarming rate, her college classes were overwhelming, and worst of all, at twenty-three, there was still no prince charming in her life.

"God, why is everything falling apart? Why does life have to be so hard? Why can't life be perfect? I mean, would it be so bad if everything went right for once, if I could always be happy? I don't understand. Why must we hurt so much? What is the purpose of living just to die? God, I have so many questions, but right now I just want to know, why must I hurt so much?"

Kelly was at her wits end. She was exhausted, and feeling so helpless. All she wanted was for things to be good again, for life to be full of joy. Tears ran down her checks as she cried out to God.

"I believe in You Father. I know You have everything under control, but why must life be full of such sadness and pain?"

Kelly sat on her bed rocking back and forth and hugging herself. She wanted to be strong, but she was so tired, so worn out, and she felt so helpless to change anything. She longed for the joy that she had once known, for the seemingly perfect life she had once lived. Now that her world was in shambles, her faith was shaken. She still believed in God, but it did not feel like enough.

~*~*~*~

We have all been in that place. We have felt so pushed down and abandoned, that God seems so far away that we fear we will never reach Him again. Life has a way of testing our faith. Sometimes it is all we can do to hold on and believe. I do not know why life gets so hard, or why hardships are so much a part of life. I do not have all the answers, but the other night as I sat pondering a situation much like Kelly's, I had a thought that put a little sunshine into my day.

If it was not for hard times, my joy would never be so full as it is when I have just come through some great trial. If it was not for tears, I would not treasure those moments of laughter so much. If it was not for doubts, certainty would not feel like such a victory. If it was not for pain and sickness, being well would not be such a blessing. If it was not for death, life would not be such a gift. If life was not so hard, we would not look forward to Heaven with such great anticipation. And if life was "perfect" we would still want more because that is just a part of our human nature. If things are good, we want better, and if things are better, we want best. We will never be satisfied here on earth, because we are always seeking that which we will only find in Heaven with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If you are going through a tough time, let me remind you that better days are ahead. If not in this world, then in the next. We will never understand why so many must suffer, but we can look for the sunshine in every dark valley.

Cling to the hand of the Master, never let go. Be mad at Him if you must. He is a big boy and He can handle your anger, but do not let go of His hand because you cannot handle this life alone. You need Him like you need air. Life may be hard, but it is better, and easier, with God.


"We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed;
we are perplexed, but not in dispair;
persecuted, but not forsaken;
struck down, but not destroyed."
2 Corinthians 4:8-9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kaomi! This is really well-written and so true - I'm going through some hard times right now too, also involving a terminal illness in my family like in "Kelly's" situation.

I would add that yes, we must cling to the hand of the Master, but we must also realize that even when we cannot hold on another second; when all hope is gone and our soul is at it's breaking point, God will hold onto us and carry us in His arms.

That verse in 2 Corinthians has been one of the verses that I cling to in these hard times. Among others, Psalm 46, Psalm 139:9-10, and Isaiah 43:1-4 have also really encouraged me in this difficult circumstance.

I rejoice in knowing that I have heaven to look forward, and in knowing that even though I cannot see it in my finiteness, God has a purpose, and it is being fulfilled through those of us who continue to love Him and serve Him even when trials come.

Again, great post, Kaomi! And God bless.

Hold fast,
AK-girl

Kathryn said...

AK-girl,
I will be praying for you. Thanks for sharing. What you said is so true.
Thanks for your encouragement. God bless.

In Him,
Kaomi