Saturday, August 6, 2011

Modesty



As a young teen I did not understand modesty. I thought modesty was about my parents old-fashioned views of what a girl should or should not wear. I did not get it, and I resented when my parents told me that something I wanted to wear "wasn't appropriate." It was while I was really struggling with this that I read the Rebelution Modesty Survey, it was then that I began to understand things better from my brothers points of view and I began to really take to heart scriptures like 1 Timothy 2:9 which says, "In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing."

As I began to realize that in dressing with care I could assist my brothers in Christ in being faithful and guarding their eyes and minds, I also began to advocate modesty. I am a sister. I have brothers. I want other girls to dress in a way helps my brothers not to stumble, so, in turn I dress modestly to help other girls brothers. Most of all, I want my actions to glorify God. My motives in dressing should be a reflection of my heart, and I long for my heart to reflect purity.

Modesty is not about a list of rules. It starts with the heart. When you become more concerned about helping your brothers and sisters in the Lord to walk uprightly and not stumble then you are about your own appearance, that is when you will find that you do not feel restricted. You feel privileged. I am not here to point fingers or judge, to give you a list of rules. I just wanted to encourage you to think twice before you buy a new outfit, and to thank those of you who have taken modesty to heart. You are an encouragement to me and a blessing to the men in my life. Keep holding steadfast God's standards for purity. May God be glorified!

No comments: