Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ready for Battle



This morning I woke up slowly, with no desire to read God's Word, unless it was only so I would feel no guilt later in the day. Yes, me, the good little Christian girl, did not want to read my Bible.
"But God, I did it every other day this week. Can't I have a day off. I mean, come on, I am tired..." So I read a fictional book instead. Yes, I really did, but with the promise that after breakfast I would snuggle up in bed for an extended time with God and I would get things straightened out with Him.

If there is one thing I do not want for my life, it is being distant from God. I did that for way to many years, and I am not about to go back to that life. Deep down in my heart I always know that I want God more then all else, but sometimes my humanness gets in the way. You know what I mean.

So, after breakfast I grabbed my Bible, journal, my currant "good read," and a notebook that I write quotes in, and dived back into bed for an extended stay. Then I came across these verses:

"Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded you waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints-" Ephesians 6:11-18

And that is when something clicked in my head (and heart). While I was was strapping on my sword every morning, I was making little preparation for battle in the other areas. No wonder I felt so weak most mornings, no wonder the daily battle with self and sin looked so daunting that I did not want any part of it. I was not ready for battle.

I came away from my time with God refreshed and feeling closer to Him then ever. God has a battle plan for us, it is all written out. Sometimes we will become discouraged and downhearted, and will want to do our own thing, but there is one thing I have realized. Once God's, always God's. Once you have given Him control of your life, there is no taking it back.

I am in this battle for the long run. Thankfully I have the best leader ever! When I get down, I know I need to take some extra time and really dig into God's Word, and just spend some good old one-on-one time with Him. If I seek His will, His plan for the battle, He will reveal it to me.

This morning I was tempted to turn my back on God for the day and do things my way, but I knew from past experience that that was not a good idea, so instead, I took some extra time to meet with my Lord and Master this morning and because of it, my day is going great.

I feel like the flowers in the picture. I am blooming in the midst of the desert. All because of God's love. Now that, my friends, is a wonderful feeling!

2 comments:

Maria said...

How often I have found myself doing the same thing turning my back on God just because I felt too tired. It is a bad way to start your day off. I find that my day does go a lot better when I put God first at the beginning of my day and when I seek him with my full heart.

Kathryn said...

Maria,
How I agree! If I don't start my day off with God, then I don't often end my day with Him, or for that matter, walk with Him through-out the day. We have to keep our focus where it belongs. On Him, all the time.
Thanks for commenting, and sorry I didn't read this sooner, but life has been a bit crazy these last few weeks. :)
God Bless,
Kaomi