Tuesday, November 3, 2009

When The Fall Winds Blow

I love it when the seasons change. The leaves change colors, and the wind blows stronger. There is sort of a chill in the air, and an expectancy. It reminds me of the changes that we have in our lives. Though there may be some unexpected changes there are far more gradual changes we know are coming.

I am so thankful that I have a God that does not change. He is so trustworthy! I was reading, in Genesis, about Abraham how God told him to leave the land of his father, everything he ever knew, and could rely on. Abraham obeyed. God did not even have to tell him that He was going to lead him to a better land. God just told him to go to the land that He was going to show him. I want to trust God like that. I do not know if I would follow God like Abraham did. I have a hard enough time trusting God with the smaller things. I still want to hold on to them and control them myself sometimes. Abraham's faith was more than just knowing that God had the best plan for his life. He knew God had a plan, and was willing to follow where ever God lead him. Abraham's faith was operative. He trusted God enough to act on his faith.

A lot of times our faith, although it is not necessary absent, is inactive. We know that God has the best plan, and that we should be following Him. We want to do His will, we just lack that operative faith. I challenge you to examine your faith. Is it operative as Abraham's was?

"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going" (Hebrews 11:8).

No comments: