Sunday, May 16, 2010

God's Love is Huge

One of my goals for this month is to re-read Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. I have not yet gotten past the first chapter, yet already I have been given food for thought. It is something I have heard all my life, but it never really sunk in fully until the other day. Then I was awed by the magnitude of the thought.

"He [God] will never -could never- love you more than He does right now."
-Do Hard Things

Nothing I can say or do will make God love me more? Whoa! Hold it a minute. That means if I am always doing good deeds, obeying God's laws, reading His word, and I pray faithfully He still will not love me any more then He did when I was dirty and very much without Him? Then why do I do any of these things? Isn't it just a waste of time?

This is where the definition of true love comes in. If you truly love someone you will do them good and never expect anything in return.

Say you are the mother of a wayward child. You love him and care for him yet he never even acknowledges you unless you have something he wants or needs, yet as his mother you continue to love, pray, and hope for him. That is true love.

Even though nothing we do makes God love us more, we do not do it expecting a return, we do it because we love Him and because it is our God-given purpose in life to serve Him and bring Him pleasure. In serving Him, we are fulfilled. I would not call that a waste of time. Would you?

We cannot earn God's love, we already have it. It does not matter how vile and sin filled we may be, God still loves us. He still extends His grace to us, and offers all of us the free gift of eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ. It is a gift of love, and a gift by definition is: "Something transferred by one person to another without compensation." You cannot earn it, you can only receive it.

"Not that we loved God, but that
He loved us and sent His Son."
1 John 4:10

"You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, I will exalt You.
Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever."
Psalm 118:28-29

No comments: