Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 24 - Bound Freedom

"For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage" (2 Peter 2: 18-19).

"For by whom a person is overcome by him also he is brought into bondage." If we are overcome by a man, a sinner, this picture looks very bleak, but when I read this verse I do not only hear the warning about corrupt men. I thought instead of how I want to be "overcome" by Him who died on the cross to save me. I want to be brought into bondage in Him. I want all that I am to be wholly His. I want to be a slave to Christ.

To be a slave is to be: "bound in servitude to a person or household as an instrument of labor. One who is submissive or subject to a specified person or influence" (The American Heritage Dictionary).

That is what I want to be. Bound in servitude to Jesus, an instrument of labor in His kingdom, submissive to Him in all things.

No comments: