Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 27 - Infatuating Distraction

I know, I am undoubtedly weird. When I read scriptures, I do not only see the verses in the context of the what is being said in each chapter and book, but I also see relationships between certain verses and my life that can be rather random at times. So, please bear with me and read this post.


~*~


"Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him" (Proverbs 30:5).

Have you ever been attraction to someone? No, honestly, have you ever met someone and just felt a spark? Not love, just an attraction? You can tell me that you have never felt attracted to someone of the opposite sex, but I probably won't believe you. (Yes, I can be stubborn like that sometimes.) Okay, so if you have ever been attracted to someone, then perhaps you have also wished for a shield, something to hide behind because do not want anyone to see your heart. You are struggling to guard you heart with all diligence,


"Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life" (Proverbs 4:23).

but it can be so hard!

I was reading in Proverbs the other day and came across Proverbs 30:5 which talks about how God is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. I have also been re-reading Joshua Harris' I Kissed Dating Goodbye and when I read this verse my mind quickly connected the words "attraction" and "shield." If God is a shield to those who put their trust in Him, I thought, then when we feel unwanted attraction---make that distraction---then perhaps we should pray that God be our shield and hide us from the emotions that threaten to take over our sensibilities? Picture the proverbial princess and knight tale. The princess is in distress, the villain Attraction and his identical twin Distraction are trying to steal the princesses most precious jewel, and then picture a grand and shining knight riding in on his majestic white stallion and with his shield he holds the villains at bay protecting the princess' treasure.

Our hearts are the treasure, and Satan is the villain who throwing temptations and distractions our way trying to pull us further from God. When we cry out for help, the Lord hears our cry (Psalm 34:17) and puts out His shield to protect us.

Keeping our hearts with diligence is a never ending battle, and sometimes we wonder if giving in would be all that bad. If the person we are attracted to never knows, then what harm could a little dreaming about "what ifs" do? Have you ever been tempted by this thought? I know I have. So, what harm can it do? There are several ways it can be harmful, and those ways may very from person to person, but one thing remains true for everyone. When you are attracted, just face it, you are often distracted. Distracted as you carry out your daily duties, and most importantly distracted from your relationship with God. Ah, ah, I know what you were going to say. You were going to point out that every dating or courting, or for that matter, newly wed couple you know is distracted, and you were going to ask me if I thought that was a bad thing. Nuh-uh, we aren't going there. You see, attraction often leads to an unhealthy infatuation if dwelt upon too much, and infatuation in some cases is okay, but not when it is founded on your imagination alone. When two people are involved and the feeling is mutual and marriage is the intent of the couple involved, infatuation can be a good thing. But, like I said, infatuation that is one-sided usually is not healthy or good.

What is my point? Attraction will happen, and I don't intend to hide in a deep dark cave somewhere to avoid it, but I do have a plan. I am going to start praying that God will shield my heart. Not necessarily from attraction itself, but from infatuation and distraction. Let's face it. Alone we do not always have the sense nor will power to guard out hearts as diligently as we should. We need help. Instead of praying that trying situations go away, I am going to be praying that God will use these situations to grow me. I will pray for His protection and strength, for I need His shield.

So, you see, I often find strength and direction from Scripture in somewhat randomly wonderful ways. :)

No comments: