Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 29

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes" (Psalm 119:71).
"I know, O LORD, that Your judgments are right And that in faithfulness You have afflicted me" (Psalm 119:75).
I can be honest with you, and with myself. I am a confirmed complainer. This is something I am working on, but it is a deep rooted habit. When times are hard, when I feel bad, I complain. The last few weeks have been challenging...or maybe it has been months, I'm not really sure anymore. Anyway, God has been asking some questions of me that I have been finding hard to answer. It is one thing to decide if I should wear a jacket or not when I go out of the house, it is another thing totally to make a decision that you know could affect your life for years to come. I wanted to just look up at the sky and whisper, "God, why? Couldn't You have just handled this alone? I trust Your judgement more then I do my own. I wish You had, I don't like this..." I caught myself. I was complaining. Again.
As I was reading through Psalm 119 today I came across these verses. How much I can learn from scripture if I am just willing to do so! Yes, sorting through difficult questions and making decisions isn't easy, but there are two reasons I should remember for not complaining. One, there are people I know who are going through things much more trying then what I'm going through. Two, I need to remind myself of these verses that say that affliction is good for me and that in God's faithfulness He afflicts us. I could call these situations growing pains.Through them I should pray that God will continue to grow me to be more like Him. And I should remember Paul's words. "In everything give thanks" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Thank you Lord for loving me enough to send You only Son to die for me. Thank You for second chances. Thank you for hard times that grow me closer to You. Lord, for everything that is going on, I thank You and ask that You will use it for Your good. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments: