Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 12

September 9

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2).

This verse always reminds me to be more careful in what I put before my eyes. What I read, listen to, and watch. Those things which I put into my heart and head will influence me for good or evil. Just because people say things are good or okay does not mean they are. I should not choose movies, books, or music based only on the opinions of others, but also hold all things up under the shining light of the Word of God.

"He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He opened not His mouth" (Isaiah 53:7).

"He opened not His mouth." Now I would be the first to tell you that I am not a big talker, but this doesn't mean that I don't sometimes open my mouth when it ought to just stay closed. When people do things to me or my loved ones that hurts I want to say hurtful words back. If I were to be oppressed and afflicted because of Jesus I would want to tell whomever what was what, but if I am to follow in the steps of the One who made a way for me, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut and pray for the souls of those who hate my Lord so much that they take their hatred out on me.

Lord, teach me to pray the prayer Jesus did on the cross. "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34). Give me compassion and love for those who do not know You. Even when, especially when, they are hateful.