Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 16

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward...rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God" (1 Peter 3:4).

I could have chosen to write out all the little nuggets of truth that I found this morning, but none seemed so important as this, and to post more might take away from the simple beauty but deep truth of what the verse says.

What is my hidden person like? Would a gentle and quiet spirit describe what is hidden deep inside my heart? I long so much for my inner self to be precious in the sight of the Lord. How much effort many of us young ladies put into our outward adornment. Maybe you do your hair, apply make up, do your nails, or maybe, like me, some days you just cannot decide what to wear! Have you ever added up the amount of time it takes for you to get ready for some event? Have you ever said, "Lord, I'm sorry I didn't spend time in prayer today, but I just didn't have time," and yet you had time to get your nails done?

If we truly desire a heart of incorruptible beauty we need to take the time and make an effort to clothe our hearts with the love and grace of the Lord through time in His Word and in prayer. What are your priorities? What do you spend time doing for your outward adornment while you are neglecting the inward adornment of you heart?

No comments: